Essential Eligibility Criteria
In order for any person to participate in a scenic float without heightened risk ALL participants must meet our Essential Eligibility Criteria for scenic float trips. The following criteria, if not met, may disqualify a person from participating in a river trip with Triangle X Ranch and National Park Float Trips (referred to collectively herein as “Triangle X Ranch”). The criteria exist for the safety of all trip participants. None of the criteria are meant to discriminate on the basis of any physical or mental disability, and are applied uniformly to all potential trip participants, irrespective of the presence or absence of any disability.
Essential Eligibility Criteria – Scenic Float Trips
- Ability to remain seated and balanced in a scenic raft with no back rest while holding a rope handle with at least one hand.
- Properly fit into a Type V Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device (maximum chest size of 60 inches).
- Ability to embark and disembark a scenic boat with the assistance of one Triangle X Ranch employee. This may require stepping into the boat (stepping down roughly 24 inches), sitting down onto the boat, kneeling to almost ground level, and/or swinging legs over the main tube. Assistance provided by Triangle X Ranch personnel includes; lending their hand to hold for balance and providing their arms or shoulders as a place for passengers to hold for support.
- Ability to navigate shoreline terrain; including safely maneuvering around loose rocks, uneven surfaces, steep embankments less than five feet tall and around vegetation. Use of a walking aid or receiving help from another person is acceptable.
- In the event of an emergency involving an involuntary swim, the participant must be able to reach and grab the lifeline around the circumference of the boat while floating in the water.
- The participant must be able to keep one’s head out of the water and independently position one’s self in the “safe swimmer position” (get on your back with your feet out in front of you and use legs and feet to kick off of any obstructions).
- The participant must be able to grab a rope that is thrown to them, pull it to their chest and hold with two hands while being pulled back to the boat.
- Ability to follow both verbal and non-verbal instructions given by guides in all situations, including during stressful or dangerous situations, and to effectively communicate with guides and other guests.
- Ability to manage all personal care independently, or with the assistance of a friend or family member.
- If taking prescription medications, have the ability to maintain proper dosage by medicating independently, or with the assistance of a friend or family member.
- Ability to remain adequately fed, hydrated, and properly dressed so as to avoid environmental injuries such as hypothermia, heat related illness, sunburn and frostbite.
None of the above criteria are meant to discriminate on the basis of any physical or mental disability, and are applied uniformly to all potential trip participants, irrespective of the presence or absence of any disability. Triangle X Ranch is committed to making reasonable modifications to any trip for any persons with a disability, so long as they do not fundamentally alter the nature of the trip.
Persons who do not meet the Essential Eligibility Criteria, but whom we believe we can reasonably accommodate on a trip with certain modifications are advised that their participation in the trip may present an increased risk to them, and will be asked to execute a form acknowledging the increased risk and assuming the same.